The first few days of the month I spent with Ella backpacking in the Lost Coast wilderness area near Highway 1 along California's northern coast.
Then the second Saturday in August blew the roof of my house. Well, actually Tim from church, Dillon from next door, and I scraped, pried, cut, and sweated 3 layers of old shingles off. And no real surprises. We discovered a significant amount of bad plywood - approx. 15 - 20 sheets, with about that many more coming off to facilitate the installation of the new eaves and soffits at the gable ends.
It has also occurred to me that I need to have the decorative fascia, some soffits, and some corner trim installed and painted prior to the gutters and roof going up. This month is getting shorter and shorter.
|Constructing the eaves on the rear gable. The siding looks like it has the pox as it waits for paint.|
|Much easier to drop that insulation into the attic from the top...|
|Constructing the eaves at the transition gable|
|Daylight and fresh air makes working around in the attic space a little less awful|
|The completed eaves addition at the transition gable|
|No danger of her becoming a roofer any time soon.|
|I used my attic access to wire up and install a 3rd light on the patio.|
The good news...I've hired a roofer who will be installing the gutters and shingles in September while I start working on the soffits and paint.